Here is an excellent post from the kitchn about the peculiarities of quince, and why we should all love it! And here is one simple recipe for an easy way to enjoy the pleasures quince has to offer:
*Photo credit: cuttotheplate.com
Check them out for an awesome looking Quince Jelly Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 (1-inch) julienne-cut lemon rind
- 4 cored peeled quinces, quartered (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven, and cook 2 minutes. Add quinces; reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature. Remove quinces from liquid with a slotted spoon. Strain liquid through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Pour liquid over quinces.
- Note: Refrigerate in an airtight container up to two weeks.